Sunday, January 25, 2009

panama is the new costa rica

Like most eastern Canadians who don't like cold temperatures, I agree that these -20 temperatures ain't so appealing week after week. So, it wasn't a surprise to me that the subject of a week away in the sun has come up in a number of conversations recently. It looks very likely that I'll be getting on a plane for a week in February to cure the blahs. And it also looks likely that I'll see five other friends from Ottawa/Montreal and Toronto who will be making the trek as well. And it hasn't been too much of an effort to bring this together.

It all started when a friend of mine commented that he really sucked at taking vacations. Not really understanding this concept, I politely inquired what the hell he meant. He said that of the 17 vacation days he had to take last year, he'd only used 2. And it's not like his paycheck doesn't allow for vacations - he makes more than enough to live.

The discussion progressed to the point where I began to understand that he does not have the travel itch. I've always been of the mind that if we're going to be alive and living on the planet, then what is the point of staying in one place the whole time you are here? Why live without seeing this amazing and crazy world?

I immediately got on the computer and started reviewing all of the places on my list. I've always got a running list. This ever-growing 'still to do' list includes living a couple of months in Recife, Brazil, Zip-lining in Costa Rica, motorcycling through the south of Chile, seeing geysers in New Zealand, bathing in the mud bath volcano in Colombia - I could go on and on with ideas. Anyway, after some research I crossed off Costa Rica as a quick study option. There was a large earthquake there recently and it has affected some places in the country. I looked around and wanted to find a country that was similar - as hot - as costa rica, but was a little less touristy and didn't come to mind immediately. And it was then that I found Panama.

When I think of Panama I think of two main things; the canal and the hat. It doesn't engender much else. Maybe sunshine. So, we've got a country I know very little about here - I know there's sunshine, a canal and people wear panama hats. Quick Lonely Planet thorntree investigation found me the info that I needed. It has gorgeous beaches and surf. There are rainforests and some of the best coffee plantations in the world. There are mountains and volcanos and eco-friendly hut-like relaxation destinations. It's considered a bit of a gem in the travellers little black book. Getting there isn't like getting to Cuba - you have to work at flying there - usually via Atlanta from Toronto or something - so that inspired a little hope that the kind of people you might meet there might have put some effort into wanting to be there. It's like joining a team when you're not in school - you made an effort, therefore you might actually want to give it your all.

I'm going to leave the post here at this point as I'm sunday-brained and must get away from this computer but I'll keep you posted on my panama research. Best laughable nugget of info so far? Panama is "just a little bit smaller than south carolina." Now that just sells me on it right there? yeah. heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment