Saturday, January 17, 2009

befuddled

Have you ever met someone who throws you off? I mean, I'm a normally together type of person when I go out in public. I tend to communicate fairly well and I also know how to recognize when I'm a little off and when this happens I simply hermit a little and wait for it to pass. But every once in a while I meet someone that throws me off. Completely out of the blue I am reduced to some kind of babbler - the kind of person that I often question.

I ran into one of these the other evening out of the blue. I'm not sure what threw me off, but I kept coming out with these inane questions to keep the conversation going. I was concerned with things I shouldn't have been concerned about - for instance, I became acutely aware that I was wearing red lipstick - how does this matter in any circumstance you may ask? Well, my fuzzed up logic (and no I had not had any alcohol) was telling me that now that I had run into this person I could not approach in any way the region of the face or lips. I may damage this person. I may leave a smudge. It may lead to some embarassing situation. I may somehow let him know that I may like him. In some form, because of the lipstick faux pas, I may actually admit my reality to him.

Now of course, this is totally unreasonable. Do people actually think like this? Well, if I think like this, if I - a usually sane person - is actually processing thought in this way, there must be others like me, right?

When I say I was thrown off by someone, do I instantly completely over-analyse movement, thought and breath? The answer is yes. For now it seems to be in my black hole of "the incurable" the thing I can't control and that in turn has caused me to think about it for two days. I can't shake this. I'd like a re-do please. On short order.

No comments:

Post a Comment