Monday, June 2, 2008

becoming the church lady

So last weekend, despite the stormy rainy weather in Montreal, I did spent an awful lot of time walking around the city. On one such walk, I happened to notice that a beautiful brick church (I'd hasard a guess and say it was catholic) had been turned into condos. The developers had taken the original structure and added on to the building, creating an almost village-like feeling to the complex. But then, there were the windows that were on the main facade (complete with ornate stained glass windows) of the building that were obviously condos as well.

Now I'm all for the preservation of ecclesiastical buildings. In fact, I think that coming up with a creative way to maintain a historical picture in Canada is paramount to the growth of this country. BUT, I'm not sure how I feel about people living in churches.

It may just be because of my Catholic upbringing. I went to church every sunday without fail. My mum used to pick me up from the coolest sleepover parties to take me to 8:30 mass. I loved the singing so that was why I rarely put up much of a fight. Then again, I knew with Susan Webster at the helm, the fight was futile.

Last year I visited my friend Francis in Ottawa. At the time, he was renting an apartment in a former church. His apartment felt like the church basement because it WAS the church basement. And when we drank copious amounts of tequila one night, I did feel a murmur of guilt in my mind. Somehow, I was acutely aware that this was a sacred space and perhaps we shouldn't be living here, let alone give in to our vices. God forbid (no pun intended) we had wild and crazy sex in this place. I don't even think I could think about it. Just not possible.

This evening I noticed there's a church on Dovercourt being transformed into "contemporary" condos. Asking price is 200 - 600. I don't think you could pay me to consider it. Perhaps the confessional could be my closet? Could you use the baptism font for a sink? An alter for a kitchen island?

Am I anti-church living because I believe more or am I afraid it will make me believe less? I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment