Monday, April 13, 2009

man up

I'm going to keep this post fairly brief due to the lo-ver-ly sinus cold that is making my head feel like it might explode at any second.

Dramatic, yes?

Well, not as dramatic as the actual changing of the seasons here in downtown Toronto. It seems that people in my neighbourhood are all ready to gear up for spring fever. In the past week, I've had three people reveal their new secret crushes. And my answer to them? MAN UP.

Seriously. All this flirting and anticipation of fresh pedicures and skin is cool and everything, but just like the cool wind you didn't count on the other afternoon when it was brilliantly sunny outside, the rules haven't really changed.

Sure, people are willing to risk a little more in spring. After a season like we've had - legions of newly-unemployed workers, bankruptcy, sharp scrutiny of all that you consider normal in our daily lives - sure, I can see that people want to focus on a new part of life. But for anyone reading this, I would urge that you consider the chase is fun, but not that fun.

Maybe it's just that I'm somewhat economical. I don't like to wait in lines, and I hate to waste time. I'd rather walk somewhere and be moving in the right direction towards my destination than be sitting in a car in a traffic jam.

So, when a friend of mine mention that someone I know "thinks I'm rather cute" all I could think of in response was "man up."

Perhaps he didn't know that I was going to get the info but the fact is that I was pretty aware of his glances. And my question here was this - if you are so interested, or even mildly interested, then why don't you just man up and ask me out? I may say yes.

I had a phone call interrupt the writing of this post just now, and my devil's advocate friend said, on behalf of all men, that could be countless reasons for this wuss approach to dating. Often it's just that the person hasn't decided whether or not to pursue the other one. Or it could be that not all women are as direct as me. He had a point there. I realize I do like people to be direct to a certain degree. If you think you like someone, then why not try and get to know them a little better? It doesn't mean you're signing a lifelong contract, it's just a freaking date. And sometimes, dates can just be fun.

I read the above and it looks like I'm an expert on this whole dating thing. And I certainly am not. I'd just rather not have crushes revealed via an intermediary, that's all. I can't seem to see what my reaction should have been to that revelation? Jubilation? Should I have admitted my crush on this 'other' as well? Should I say blatantly that I'd like to go on a date with him? Why would I say this to someone other than him?

There is no moral to this story other than to say that the answer could be to "man up." It could be the answer, and it could also just be some advice from a lady with a huge sinus headache. Your choice. Do what you please.

No comments:

Post a Comment