Wednesday, February 18, 2009

skype makes the world go 'round

My little sister is coming into town tomorrow. Although, lately, it's been nice to see her a lot.... via skype. Seriously, I don't understand why more people aren't on it. It's basically a really funny way to connect with people. The only catch is that you have to build your contact list so that you can call others... or that's the way I use it... so if you want to talk to your sister in another town, you can if you're both online at the same time. We talked for over an hour today via video chat. And it's free. So within our convo - she'd called me whilst I was getting quite overwhelmed by some stupid proof of claim form I had to fill out - by the end of it we were laughing (and seeing each other laugh) quite hysterically. There's some kind of delirious novelty that comes with watching your (often worse for wear) sister stare into her computer screen and chat. Strangely comforting. She's even banned her boyf from adding her on skype because she fears it will ruin the mystique of the relationship. And to some degree I agree. Only your eldest sister needs to see you moaning into the screen from your bed while you are sick. And trust me - she did that ALL WEEKEND recently and by the third call, I was like - PLEASE, for all of us - even me in another city - PLEASE go have a shower. It might make you feel better.

Anyway, it's some kind of eighth wonder of the world and the telecommunications companies are doing a damned good thing of keeping it under wraps. I signed up over 5 years ago now and I woulda thought it might have caught on by now?

True fact - my first skype call was with friends in Delhi, India. I had come home from a bar and was a little ragged around the edges when they called and I listened to their accents floating out of my computer. At the time, I didn't have a microphone set up to chat back with them, but I chatted back by typing just to say, hey keep talking, this is making my world spin!

Anyway, two cents on skype. Sign up today. There's really no catch. It's pretty easy and kinda great to see people via screens instead of not at all.

G'night world.

No comments:

Post a Comment