Saturday, February 14, 2009

love the world, it's valentine's day

It occurred to me this evening that tomorrow (and by the time I post this, today) is Valentines day. I'm not feeling any kind of sadness or bitterness for this day, in the way petty single ladies are, i guess, SUPPOSED to feel. Rather, I'm pretty happy to be alive and well, and living and learning another day. It seems enough to get up in the morning for, and so, I embark on this 2009 Valentines day with a sense of optimism for the year ahead.

True, this year didn't lend itself to any great romances. I literally fell of a skateboard for one gentleman, and the ensuing wheelchair hospital visit the next day was a story for sure, and the month following in plus 35 degree humid weather while on crutches and working from my home which has a staircase to my bedroom was hard to navigate.

True, a lot of my friends made some HUGE life changes. One had a baby boy and moved cities and left her high-adrenaline government job. Another marked the second year of life with her boy with anticipation of moving into the suite of her husband's brother's home nearby. "There's a garden for Lukas" she said to me excitedly when we had coffee over Christmas time this year. Another realized her husband's career move to work as a teacher was a great decision since he's really found his calling. Most of my Toronto TFC soccer-friends all moved into houses in their east end neighbourhoods. Then there were the ones who had to reevaluate on account of losing their jobs, but there was always some kind of silver living to it. Mainly the fact that in the process of losing your job, you tend to find out who "your people" really are.

But when it comes to me, it seems, unlike my Granny Joyce, I am not worried about meeting someone. It took me a while to get over my past relationship, and it's nice to finally see the cloud lifting a little bit. I saw that boy last night, and it was strange because I can't remember the last time I saw him prior to that. It was more than awkward, since I wasn't prepared for it, but that comfort and ease of friendship and witty banter came back pretty quickly. I guess some things don't really get lost, do they?

I read this article today by the Welsh singer, Duffy. It was one of those "day in the life" type articles, but it was movingly candid and really struck a chord with me. I thought I'd take the time, on the occasion of the eve of Valentines day to share the link with you as well. I loved her album "Rockferry" and can't tell you how many times I played the track "Warwick Avenue" last year. Encouraging to see that she's figured out how to enjoy the madness of her quickly changing life.

Here's the link: DUFFY ARTICLE IN THE TIMES

Off up the apples and pears now to bed.... happy weekend! love love!

No comments:

Post a Comment